Friday, May 14, 2010

Season Finale

So it is that time of year again. It’s the time when all of my television shows air their most shocking and emotional episodes of the season. It’s the episode that fits together all of the pieces of the puzzle, the one that finally reveals all the details in the plot that have been building for weeks. This is the episode that one of my favorite characters will no doubt suffer a terrible car accident and die, get shot or perhaps birth a long awaited new babe. It is also the episode that marks the end of many months worth of entertainment. I will now be left simply with the remote control in hand clicking aimlessly at the cable box, scrolling through all of the channels hoping desperately to find an episode that I just may have missed during the season or one that was so good the first go around that it was worth watching again. Finding an episode you have missed during the season does not happen often, but when it does it’s as exciting as finding a fifty dollar bill in the pocket of an old jacket you haven’t worn in years.

Of course, this is probably the only time of the year that my DVR capacity gets below 80%. It gives me a chance to go through and watch all of my previously recorded series that are interesting to some degree, yet not important enough to make the during-season cut. You all know what I am talking about here, the shows that may last on the recorded list for months but we don’t want to erase them “just in case.” If I were to be a pack rat, these shows would be considered my hoard. These are the back-up series I keep so that I have something to watch if by chance my expensive piece of recording technology fails me by not recording my scheduled series.

I never actually watch a program on live TV because I hate having to sit through boring commercial after boring commercial. This is the number one reason I pay an extra $10 a month for my recording device. Even if it is a show that I have waited all week to watch, I always record and start maybe 15 minutes after it begins to air. This way I can skip ahead to the good stuff. I have no patience and am very indulgent. I also cannot watch two programs at the same time, which is the number two reason I have my DVR. Ever notice how they always pair the two best series of the night at the same time? From crime solving/detective shows to medical shows, there is some stiff competition out there.

Remember the VCR? Does anyone even still have those? Oh how the DVR is so much better! Those countless collections of VHS tapes cluttering up the house and of course if you didn’t label them properly you would have to search for days just to find the show you were looking for. I remember having to go through about a bagillion of my mom’s VHS tapes, watching, fast-forwarding and labling endless soap operas and that darn China Beach. This alone may just be the reason why I cannot stand to look at a soap opera to this day (or it may be the over dramatic storylines and lack of actual acting ability). I love digital! It’s all right there for you on one little screen, alphabetized and dated a dream for people with OCD.

Well as all good things must come to an end, I will acceptingly depart from my McDreamy, Detective Benson and Agent Seeley Booth until next season. I hope they all make it back unscathed. Until then, I guess there is always Reality TV!


My picks:

Series worth watching:
Private Practice
Grey's Anatomy
The Vampire Diaries
Brothers and Sisters
Criminal Minds
Ghost Whisperer
90210
Law and Order SVU
Glee


Back-up series:
CSI New York
Cold Case
Melrose Place
Bones

1 comment:

  1. I could of totally written this too, but with completely different shows. Here are mine:

    1) The Office
    2) Modern Family
    3) glee
    4) Biggest Loser

    So glad you are blogging. I have a list of mommy blogs that I visit every day and now I get to add yours to the list!

    JEN

    ReplyDelete